Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Lunch with Friends

These little guys joined me for lunch!

Awhile back, my mom convinced me to give spaghetti squash a try since I love all other varieties of this vegetable. I must admit, I was a little intimidated at first--a vegetable that turns into "pasta" when it is cooked?!

After purchasing one at the grocery store, I put it in my pantry and avoided it for a week or so before mustering up the courage to give it a whirl. I sliced that little bugger open and was surprised that the contents resembled a pumpkin's guts:


Up close and personal

I removed all of the seeds and then tried to think about how you even go about cooking this beast.


Lucky for me, there was an instructions sticker right on the front! Bonus.


Next, I transferred the two halves face-down onto a lightly greased cooking sheet per the instructions.


Afterwards, I added some little friends:

It got a little crowded, but don't worry--they managed. 

I popped the pan into the oven for about 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees.



When it was done, I began scraping the insides lightly with a fork.

A pasta impostor!

Bowl full of noodles!


I added some parmesan, olive oil, salt, and steamed broccoli and called it dinner. Overall, I was impressed. The squash gave it a nice, veggie flavor yet it was not too overpowering if you wanted to top it with marinara sauce. Bon appetite!

Have you ever tried spaghetti squash? 
What is one new thing you have tasted recently?

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...